The secret to building a strong personal brand is to try and get recommendations that each focus on different areas of expertise.
For example, You want one recommendation for each of the following:
- the benefits your strategic thinking has bought to stakeholders
- your project management skills
- your leadership style
- your customer service and client relationship skills
- your ability to handle a crisis situation or major event
- your service delivery, or the quality of your online course or programs
The beautiful thing is that there’s no limit to the total number of recommendations you can request or receive.
- Go to your profile and click the down arrow to the right of the button near your profile picture.
- Click Ask to be recommended from the dropdown.
- Follow the prompts to request the recommendation.
- Click Send.
Even though you can request a recommendation from up to three connections at once, I’d recommend you go through and customise each request because this is such an important element to get right!
Plan on Having to Follow Them Up
Also, just know from the get-go that you’ll probably have to follow up on these LinkedIn recommendation requests, because they simply aren’t the highest priority in the day of the people who you’re reaching out to. So after a week or two, just send them a friendly message via email or LinkedIn. If they haven’t done the good deed after a week from following them up the first time, I’d text or call them and ask if they’re still okay to do it for you…..they will be, they just needed a gentle prod 🙂
It’s SO worth getting as many recommendations you can over the course of your career or entrepreneurial journey, because it’s worth gold when your prospective clients Google your name, and then come across your lovely LinkedIn profile!
Aim for 3 Recommendations in the next 3 weeks!
Start today by sending requests out to 10 of your favourite clients, customers or colleagues.
See how many you can get within the next 3 weeks, hopefully you’ll get at least 3 ASAP – they are going to look great on your profile!
Like always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on 1300 979 640 or use the comments section below to post your questions or feedback.